TimeWise aims to guide retirees toward a fulfilling retirement. The app enables users to foster new communities through a variety of meetups and events.
Alison Johnstone, Atrin Yazdani-Biuki, Emma Sun, Naomi Evers, Sara Nguyen
Research, Solution, UI Design, UX Design, Illustration, Prototyping, Case Study
To understand our target audience, my research team and I set out to interview 13 local seniors of a variety of life circumstances. We also consulted a neuropsychologist as well as a psychotherapist. Both are well-versed in the psychological effects of aging.
*To protect their privacy, their real names and faces have not been used.
"As you get older, the filters in your brain get noisier, so you’re not able to keep out distracting info."
"It’s one thing to be on social media and be active with somebody you don’t even know, but getting out there, out of your home, is also very key and important."
"...We found that nobody was compatible because they were were all younger than us. So their topic of conversation was not our topic. "
Retirees often struggle to adapt to their new lifestyle due to
Bernard is a 70 year old man who lives alone at home. Suffering from the recent death of his wife, he still has not been able to adapt to an independent lifestyle.
• Design a more guided interface, with fewer options
• To account for seniors’ wariness of privacy, allow for all input to be optional. However, gently remind users of the benefits of input
• Employ the use of traditional buttons and interfaces
• Provide accessibility settings where users may
adjust the size and colour of type
• Communicate in a friendly and personable manner